Those crisp mornings have arrived, and the last of the garden is being hauled in ahead of the first hard freeze. It’s pumpkin, squash and apple time! And it’s a good time to be thinking about ways to include whole grains in those fall vegetable recipes. Stuffing winter squashes with whole grains and veggies is a great choice, with many possible variations. Here is one delicious example:
Stuffed Acorn Squash
- Bake squash halves cut side down at 350 for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Saute veggies in olive oil and mix with the cooked spelt. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Stuff spelt-veggie mixture by half-cup+ measures into squash halves.
- If desired, drizzle each stuffed squash half with 1/2 t real maple syrup
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes and serve hot.
*1 C berries cooked in 3 C water or broth for 60-90 minutes. Cooked spelt should be soft but chewy.