Tis the Season . . . for all those holiday goodies! Enjoy – in moderation – but also consider this healthy, lower-calorie alternative snack: Grain Place Popcorn! Popcorn is a nutritious, whole grain food – and a crunchy, delicious one at that! You only need a touch of melted butter to bring out its wonderful toasty flavor. There are plenty of options for seasoning, including just a light sprinkling of salt and/or cinnamon sugar – especially appropriate during the holidays. Other favorites include parmesan cheese, nutritional yeat (imparts a buttery flavor while adding protein and B vitamins) or Spanish smoked paprika. Experiment to discover your own unique seasoning favorite!
Speaking of whole grain alternatives, here’s an old family recipe from my grandmother. The oatmeal replaces pecans, which were very expensive during the depression. And I’ve replaced the original corn syrup with brown rice syrup to avoid the use of GMO indredients and high fructose corn syrup.
- One (9-inch) pie crust, unbaked
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 T flour
- 1 t ground cinnamon
- 1/4 t salt
- 1 C brown rice syrup
- 1/4 C melted butter
- 1 t vanilla
- 1 C Grain Place Rolled Oats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat eggs until frothy.
- Combine sugar, flour cinnamon and salt in small bowl.
- Add eggs; mix well.
- Add rice syrup, melted butter and vanilla.
- Mix in rolled oats and pour into unbaked pie shell.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until center is barely jiggly and knife comes out clean.
- Let cool, serve with whipped cream.
Hint: Pie will continue to set after being taken out of the oven.